Thursday, January 25, 2007

Darren's Best of 2006

Well, I waited a little while to really let the weight of the entire year sink in, and in the process, I noticed an odd trend for my 2006 listening.

For the first time in quite a while, three of my spots are held by women. Now, I like female voices as much as the next guy, but I think 2006's crop was really extraordinary.

And believe it or not, it was a great year for music - Dylan, Yo La Tengo, Band of Horses, and yes, even Nelly Furtado all put out particularly great records this year, but didn't make the list.

I also was fairly dissapointed by a lot of old favorites this year. Flaming Lips, Decemberists and Built To Spill all put out to me what are pretty much forgettable records - kind of record-after-the-record fare. But hey, everybody needs a Goat's Head Soup too, right?

Unfortunately, other than the Ghostface and J Dilla records, nothing in the hip-hop world blew me away this year. But then again, I missed albums by Rhymefest, Liupe Fiasco and a host of others who all seem to know Kanye West...

Enough postulating, to the results!

Midlake - Trials of Van Occupanther

Okay, I'll rep for the local boys a little here. This isn't a perfect record (I particularly loathe Branches) and I'm not sure how much more dour '70s Fleetwood pop I want to hear, but these guys took an otherwise dead sound and made it really work, and infusing all the rural stuff - a righteous new idea. To me, this whole thing just sounds like the less populated areas of North Texas at sunset. So, just this once, I'm going to forgive some of the self-seriousness, and just accept the music as what it is - really original and cool.

Jarvis Cocker - Jarvis

I'll admit it, I like my rock with a little cheek. Back in the day, Pavement, Pulp and Modest Mouse could rock out and still be hillarious while doing it. Well, with his latest record, Jarvis has still go that Pulp-y magic, except a little darker than before. Forget Common People, try I Will Kill Again

Joanna Newsom - Ys.

I know what you're saying, "Darren, it's so weighty and pretentious. Don't you usually scorn stuff like this?"

Well, normally, I'd say you're right, but the difference is in the talent. Sure Joanna's voice sounds like a whiny 5-year-old's, but I'm not about to penalize someone for having an off-kilter voice. Who doesn't these days? Beyond that, what's so great here is the talent. Newsom can really play the harp, and with the help of Steve Albini and Van Dyke Parks, can really arrange. So, sure their are some proggy, boring lyrics here, but the music is just terrific. I might be listening to Milk-Eyed Mender over this in a few years, but this is really her finest work to date. Far and above any other harpist I heard this year (I'm looking at you, lady in church.)

TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain

Edged out Band of Horses in the more traditional rock genre. My friend Sherman was really into these guys a few years ago, and it really took me in between this record and the last one, Desperate Youth, Blood Thirsty Babes to really dig into this sound and go along with it.

And while I'd much rather go see Joanna over TVOTR again, this is a repeat listen record. There's more accesibility here, but there's also a lot of the fun far-out barbershop-in-space mess found on the last LP and EP. I Was A Lover always makes me stop and pay attention, along with Wolf Like Me

Jenny Lewis - Rabbit Fur Coat

I just love this record. It's not really country, it's not indie, pop or even folk, but Lewis is just so damn funny and sassy, it's hard not to get into her. She's like the best drinking buddy you never had. Jenny's show-biz charmer personality really sells this record, and I'd say the first four tracks on this CD are about as good as anything else out there, and in my opnion, better than a lot of the Rilo Kiley records, Jenny's other project. I don't know how many more solo records to expect from Lewis, but if they all turn out this good, I'll be first in line to buy.

Hold Steady - Boys and Girls of America

A pretty polarizing band, in part because they were also pretty cheeky, and yet they still rocked pretty hard. I love these guys. I'd say this record elicited more laughs and bass-rumbling, car stereo knob-rocking than any other record. Yeah, they're stealing from Springsteen pretty hard, but when did that become such a bad idea?


Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

This was my favorite record six months ago, and it still hasn't lost much steam. I don't think she gets her due as a songwriter here - all these tunes are rock-solid. Of course with a voice that haunting, that damn country, it's easy to see why.

What really sold me here was how broad the love of this record is. For starters, Garth Hudson (The Band) is on here, and he don't just jump on everything. Secondly, I know indie kids, soroity girls, country fans and people who don't even like music that just dig the hell out this record. And for good reason - I'll wager it as a classic.

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

Hmmm, we only have Midlake in common... Cool, that gives me ideas of what to check out next.

9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home