Saturday, October 21, 2006

A sad week in the music world...

CBGB is gone. And I'm sad... I always wanted to go there to see a show and experience the place... Yeah, the owner says they're re-opening in Vegas, but it's not the same...

And then to top it off, Tower Records in Dallas is closing. Of course, this article is from two weeks ago, but that just shows how I've been in my own little thesis world... I only found out this week when I was working on my thesis and thought, "Fuck this, I'm going to buy CDs at Tower." So I hopped in the Saturn and headed towards Dallas. So I was pretty bummed about the closing, but the upside was that everything was on sale...

And for anyone who is thinking, "Well Steve, you've got two Virgin Megastores in DFW." Sorry, but those are too sanitary and none of the staff knows the first thing about music. I could go in to Tower Records and have a decent conversation about which Oscar Peterson CD was his best, or "I like this band and this band, would I like this band?" Virgin is more about selling DVDs and video games, and I've found their music selection sorely lacking in places.

Yeah, I like CD World and Good Records alright, but when I need some jazz or classical, I've got nothing but Amazon really. Border's has devastated their music section so much it is unrecognizable and Best Buy stocks the cheap-ass "Music for a romantic dinner" CDs. So my impulse purchases of jazz and classical are pretty much gone unless I go to another city or wait for the damned thing to come from Amazon or get locked into some DRM from Apple.

Yeah, I'm kinda cranky...

...But I'm also somewhat relieved, because I've finally turned my thesis in to my committee! That's a major load off my mind. Just gotta get it through there, and I'll get to wear purple in December...

So sad week musically, but a good week thesis-wise...

1 Comments:

Blogger Steve said...

From what I've read, CBGB was behind on the rent for a while. The lease ran out a couple of years ago, and the rent went up dramatically because the area is no longer as run-down as it once was. I know there were several court battles and negotiations.

So I'm sure the owners will change it over to some upscale nick-nack shop selling overpriced crap...

If there's any upside to this, it may be that in a couple of years, you can hop a bus to Vegas to experience the Disney-fied version of CBGB...

5:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home