Thursday, March 30, 2006

The denial twist

I'm going to admit something. It's something that I've never been able to admit before.

I like the White Stripes.

For years, I made fun of them. Of course, they made it easy with the tri-color get up, the celebrity girlfriends, and Meg White's drumming. I even agreed when Bloc Party frontman Kele Okereke said he thought Jack White's dusting off of old blues records was boring.

But then they released Get Behind Me Satan, and something changed. All the sudden, the White Stripes got really good.

It was the second single, "My Doorbell," that really hooked me. It's got all the makings of a great rock song: a foot-stomping beat, a downright-nasty piano hook and a goofy blues lyric ("I'm thinking about my doorbell and when you're ring it, when you're going to ring it"). Put simply, It's three minutes of bliss.

Satan has been out for at least a year, but as with many good things, I came late to the party. But then again, better too late than not at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home